House fire causes more than 100k damage

DAMAGE: An accidental Sheffield fire was caused by a freezer in the shed. The home was uninsured. Pictures: Jason Hollister.A WOMAN, six cats and a dog, have escaped an early morning house fire without injury.
HangZhou Night Net

The woman’s 100-year-old weatherboard house at Staverton caught alight in the roof section while she was sleeping.

The fire started in an old shed near the house.

The accidental fire was caused by a freezer in the shed.

The attending fire investigator said the blaze spread to the house after heat from the shed fire impinged on the roof, where it was largely able to be contained.

The fire, which happened in the early hours of yesterday morning, caused an estimated $120,000 damage.

The shed was razed to the ground.

It is believe the property, at 259 Staverton Road, was not insured.

Chief Tasmania Fire Service investigator, Gil Graham, was at the scene yesterday morning.

He said the woman and the animals were all inside the house as the fire took hold.

The woman, who did not want to be named, told

She said she was in bed and was woken up by what sounded like ”a bang in a chimney”.

She saw light coming from the shed blaze and called emergency services at 5.15am.

Volunteer fire units from Sheffield, Claude Road and Railton responded.

The fire was brought under control within the hour, Mr Graham said.

He said the fire was caused by a freezer in the shed.

”It’s important to keep extension leads free of any obstructions. In this case the freezer might have been sitting on the extension lead,” he said.

The woman said she also lost garden tools she had in the destroyed shed.

The house was not inhabitable after the fire.

The woman said there was also a one-bedroom unit on the property she would move into.

This article first appeared in Hangzhou Night Net.


Comments are closed here.